Stable Update

The majority of our horses have settled in with Larry down in New Orleans. Larry notes that they’re all taking to the track surface very well. Here are some of the anticipated races for our runners:

General Ike and Mary Rita are likely headed to stakes at Delta Downs on Nov. 22. General Ike looks like he’ll be the favorite in the Sam’s Town while Mary Rita will contest the Orleans S.

Cassatt may run in the Zia Park Oaks on Nov. 26 and then we’ll hope to make the Houston Ladies Classic on Jan. 24. We ran in that spot with Joyful Victory and won.

Texas Two Step will target an allowance on Nov. 29th and then may go out to California for the Dec. 26 Malibu.

Bluff had a really good work on Tuesday. We’re always looking and hoping we have one or more good ones in our newest crops, and Larry thinks he might be a good one. He also continues to think highly of Exodus and Broadway Show. Blitz and The Sandman are galloping and doing well.

The Trunk Monkey will have his first breeze on Thursday. It’ll only be a quarter so won’t be noted as an official breeze. We hope the colt’s issues are behind him since we know he has talent.

We decided to send Larry Cinnamon Spice and Poetry. Both had been laid up with some minor ailments. Cinnamon Spice is a really beautiful filly and Larry notes how well she moves. Poetry is very strong in her gallops, wanting to do more.

Clark Kent is likely retired. Unfortunately, he broke a sesamoid and it was of such severity that we don’t really have any thoughts that he can return to training. We just want to get him through his recuperation well so that he can have a good life as a riding horse for someone. It’s a shame that he suffered this injury because he sure looked to have all the talent in the world.

Jubilation and Look of Eagles are both at the farm and should be going to trainers soon. Normandy Invasion is going to be looked at by Dr. Bramlage again after Thanksgiving and we’ll know better where we stand with him. Dr. Bramlage has given him one interim look and noted that he’s coming along quite well, so we do remain hopeful that we’ll ultimately be told that he can return to training and at his previous level.

Ideal worked on Wednesday and is ready for his first start. Jerry is looking for a race for him. Glory will be ready for her debut very soon, probably in about 2 weeks.

Jerry is looking around for a racing opportunity for Bronze Star. He’d like to run him one more time before the end of the year.

Kentuckian is Jerry’s favorite prospect, but Jerry’s having to take it slow with him. Not only is he a big, two-turn colt, but he’s also had shins bother him. He should get in his first start this year, though.

Jeff Runco has three of our horses at Charles Town. Beetlebomb just broke his maiden, and Kicker Bond ran a good second in his debut. Since his optimum distance will be going longer, Jeff was pleased with the effort. Ballad has also run well for Jeff and we’d expect her to break her maiden next out.

NORMANDY INVASION UPDATE

Normandy has to be one of the unluckiest horses we’ve had in the barn. First, he had the deep abscess along with being underweight which caused us to give him the 2nd half of his 3yo year off. After just a few races at 4, he then got a lung infection that caused us to give him plenty of time this year. He was getting close to a return when Larry noted the smallest amount of swelling though he wasn’t lame in the least, and it turned out to be a fractured sesamoid. Dr. Bramlage has told us that there is a 50-50% chance that he can return at his prior level and with no increased risk of injury at the site. He will know when he re-examines Normandy in about 45 days. Larry was very excited about Normandy’s prospects for 2015, so we just have our fingers crossed that the healing goes well enough that Dr. Bramlage gives us the green light to return him to training.I will not race him unless Dr Bramlage tells me he can race at the same level as he previously raced.

Bal a Bali fighting laminitis

We have a Bal a Bali update that we’d rather not be making. He was scheduled to fly out to Richard Mandella over the weekend, but a small lameness issue cropped up nearing the end of last week. We’ve been proactive at every stage, including sending him to the nearest clinic when he was first noticed lame, but as of yesterday, it was confirmed that we are battling laminitis. We have the vets from Palm Beach Equine as well as Rood & Riddle working on him, and we’ve brought in a mobile cold water pool for him. The news was fairly positive today and we hope that it continues to be positive over the coming days. We’d like to thank Dr. Davis, Dr. Dryden, and everyone else who has been tending to Bal a Bali for all their hard work and dedication to seeing him become well. We hope you’ll send good thoughts to the horse and his team.

Tale of a Filly

Tale of a Filly

This is a Tale about a filly and the man who owns Fox Hill Farm. This is the 2013 filly out of Christina’s World by Tale of the Cat. She was born prematurely and before her bones had properly hardened. It was said that 95% of people would’ve euthanized the filly. She couldn’t be a viable racehorse and a $30k stud fee was due on her. Rick could see no humane reason to put the filly down, so she wasn’t. He paid for two surgeries to help her limbs, and has paid for her monthly care. She illustrates why I’m so proud to work for Rick Porter, who always thinks of the horses’ welfare first. I also want to commend Coolmore Stud who knew of the situation and waived the stud fee. She’s now a yearling and ready to be broken and be someone’s riding horse. If you’d like to adopt her or would like to work with her to ready her for a new home, please let us know.

ChristinasWorld13

Video Highlight